Tuesday 11 May 2010

The Surgery

Surgery

They never tell you about the pain. They tell you about everything else: the rehab, the risks, the outlook, but they never tell you about the pain. Morphine, Co-Codamol and Voltarol don't make a dent on sliced skin and drilled bones. OUCH!

In the end my surgeon replaced my posterior cruciate ligement with a donor achillies tendon and replaced my popliteo-fubular ligament (shown as PFL below) with a hamstring graft.

My knee is apparently in good shape with no signs of wear or cartiledge damage. My LCL is a little slack but he wasn't too worried about that. It's pretty amazing what they can do these days.

REHAB

Today is the first day of long period of rehab. Best estimates are 12 months before I'll be back climbing and I'm stuck in a fixed knee brace for 6 weeks or so during which time I can only do passive exercises. A long road ahead, I'm hoping for a good outcome...

No comments:

Post a Comment